Lexapro (escitalopram) is another SSRI drug that work basically the same way as Prozac, easing depression by boosting the serotonin levels in the brain. Lexapro is prescribed for fewer conditions compared to Prozac. Lexapro is specifically prescribed for people with generalized anxiety disorder. However the side effects of both Lexapro and Prozac are fairly similar.
What is Lexapro generic taken for?
The medication is taken by adults to treat anxiety disorder in them. Not only this, but the Lexapro generic drug can also effectively treat major depressive disorder in a person. The child should be at least 12 years of age in order to take this medication.
How should you take Lexapro generic medication?
You should take the medication properly with the right dose that is prescribed to you. Only the healthcare professional has the right to alter the drug dosage strength during your course of therapy.
A person can take the tablet with the help of water at the right time. Prior consuming Lexapro medication you are not supposed to do any damage to it. The individual can take the drug with or without food.
It is a must that you have to wait for 4 weeks of time to find the improvement in your symptoms. Take the liquid form of the medication with the help of the dose measuring cup. If you do not have one then you are supposed to get one from the pharmacist. Measure it properly and then consume it. Do not take higher or lower than what is mentioned to you.
The person should not abruptly stop taking Lexapro medication as it would cause severe issues in the body.
Missing a Lexapro dose
If you have missed taking a dose then you have to check the time. If the time mentions that you should take the next drug dose soon then avoid taking the missed one. Never increase the drug dose believing that it would compensate the missed one.
You should not overdose Lexapro generic at any cost. In case you have mistakenly overdosed the medication then contact the healthcare professional immediately.
Side effects of Lexapro
Similar to other drugs in the market you would suffer from certain side effects if you are taking Lexapro medication.
Common Lexapro side effects:
- Sleep problems
- Change in weight
Severe side effects:
- severe sweating
- low levels of sodium in the body
- racing thoughts
- change in vision
- swelling in the body
If you are experiencing any of these side effects then you are expected to contact the healthcare professional immediately.
- Do not take Lexapro during pregnancy as it causes lung disorders and complications in the baby.
- It is also not recommended to use the medication if you are breast feeding a child.
- Children less than 12 years of age should not take the drug.
- There are chances for you to get suicidal thoughts when you are taking the medication. Contact the healthcare professional immediately if you are facing this issue.
- Tell them if you are allergic to any drug or substance.
- Inform about the history of drug abuse or addiction.
- It is essential to notify about the medications that you are currently taking. Only when you do so it is possible for your doctor to prescribe Lexapro generic without any occurrence of drug interactions.